Tuesday, April 11, 2006

a week of firsts!!!

i want to send out a quick update on my first few days here in Argentina. After 3 flights i made it smoothly to Cordoba. I gathered all my things, made it through customs.... then i didnt see anyone i knew at the airport.. i was bombarded by taxi drivers, who obviously knew that i was looking pretty lost with no ride. My friends did eventually show up, they slept in!!! They made it up to me quickly by cooking me some nice food. The food here is really good. they eat a lot of beef and italian food. so far lunch has been typically at 2 to 3 and dinner is like at 11 at night. in the morning and late afternoon there is time for a quick bread and tea or coffee. last night i tried to play a smaller version of soccer that is played on a basketball court.. lets just say there is room for improvement. it kinda feels like i am on a vacation, cuz my schedule is all thrown off and i am staying with a couple and there is a lot of exploring to do. the couple i am staying with have a 2 bedroom, 1 bath apartment and they left this morning for a 2 week vacation so i will be staying there myself. My "street" spanish lessons are going good. i am learning more and more... i would learn faster if english was not used so much here... they listen to american music and like to practice english, so my brain is constantly going back and forth.. it would be better if i was under constant spanish. lets see.. i have found that i have to find a balance when it comes to missing everything and everyone in the US.
if i think about it too much then i will feel bad and sad, but i also dont want to just forget it all together. The people here are awesome. i cant wait till david fulfer comes in late may. right now for me is just getting plugged into culture.. but i know the work will begin soon for outreach. lets see.. the weather is awesome here.. 60 at night and 80 and sunny during the day. in may it will begin to get colder. if you have any questions about any other details let me know.. my abilty to get on the net right now is hit or miss... but hopefully in due time i will be able to update this regularly. chao, un brazo. (that means bye, and a hug.. that is how they end conversations here)
sj
ps i shaved my beard off yesterday.

2 Comments:

Blogger Fulf said...

Que guapo que sos... no sabia que los permiten entrar a los gringos quien hablan boliviano y tejano.

Gracias a Dios que llegaste con bien!

Tuesday, April 11, 2006  
Blogger Iron Sharpens Iron said...

THAT'S INTENSE!!! You need to grow a fu man chu or something. Hope all is well in Argentina, and I look forward to continue hearing how it's going...

Will "The Thrill" Washington

Tuesday, April 11, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home