Humans throughout history have always been concerned with competition, and have been creative in coming up with ideas for various competitions. What is it about us humans that seeks for this rush of testing the physical limits that a body could dare to withstand? We see humans doing things such as running Marathons, Ironmans, scaling the world's highest mountains, and swimming across the English Channel. These sorts of accomplishments i can somewhat get a grasp on. Someone once asked a famous climber why he climbed mount everest, his response: "Because its there". That's a fair enough answer for me. I have run 4 marathons, and my response as to why I wanted to do it would be along the same lines of reasoning. However, in this post, i want to focus on some of the newer/crazier/more creative challenges that are out there. The marathons, Ironmans, and Mount Everest Climbs I can begin to understand, but there are some new competitions and challenges that are just hard for me to accept. I probably should do some more research and find some more crazy events for you, but here i want to list for you some of my favorite crazy/wild/insane challenges that us humans have decided to take on:
1) Beer Mile. This one isnt too out there or too extremely difficult, but it is a competition growing in popularity. On paper, the competition is fairly simple: You have to run 4 laps (equalling a mile), but the catch is that before you run each lap you must dring a 12 oz can of beer with a minimum alcohol content of 5%. Fastest time on record: 5 minutes, 9 secondsClick here for the official beer mile site, complete with records, official rules, etc.
2) 24 hour treadmill run. This has been an event that has been around for longer than i thought. Again, the rules are fairly simple: how much distance can you run on a treadmill in a timespan of 24 hours. The world record is 153.9 milesClick here for more info on the 24 hour treadmill run
3) Hands on a Hard Body. This is a crazy competition held annually in Longview Texas. It is a competition held by a car dealership. Several people are in the contest, and they must keep 1 hand on the car. Whoever keeps their hand on the car the longest wins the car! (short breaks are given every once in a while!) But just imagine the sheer discomfort of trying to stay standing and not fall asleep. Click here for an article about the competition. I believe the article states the record for the longest time
4) 24 Beers/24 miles/24 hours
This is pretty insane. Run 24 miles and drink 24 beers all within a 24 hour time period.. pretty crazy, i wouldnt ever want to do it, but its do-able.More info here
5) McDonald's Dollar menu challenge. Eat everything on the McDonald's dollar menu.
Probably a lot tougher than it sounds. Click here for more info
6) Finally, there is free diving. Free diving is diving as deep as possible in one breath without the assistance of motorized machinery or underwater breathing aparati. There are several categories for free diving such as with our without fins, with our without weights. The overall record blows my mind away: 214 meters deep!!! are you kidding me? Insanity.Click here for more info
Share with me some of your favorite crazy competitions!!!